Sunday, June 24, 2007

Flash audio problems in Firefox 2 - Solved

After upgrading to Firefox 2 I had problems with the Flash plugin no longer producing sound when another audio application was running - a problem I'd not previously had with Firefox 1.5.

The fix was fairly simple. I had libflashplayer.so in my .mozilla/plugins directory. This was being used by Firefox 2 for the application/x-shockwave-flash MIME type in preference to Shockwave Flash v9.0 (flashplugin-nonfree package).

After removing libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt from my .mozilla/plugins directory audio playback works perfectly in the Flash plugin in Firefox 2.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there,

When you removed libflashplayer.so, would that not mean there was no plugin to play flash at all?

Did you install shockwave flash after removing libflashplayer.so?

Congrats on fixing the problem, though I can't figure out yet how you did!

ChrisP said...

G'day,

No, I already had the "flashplugin-nonfree" package installed. However, this was being overridden by the Flash player plug-in I had installed in my *personal* ~/.mozilla/plugins directory.

When I deleted the files from this directory the flashplugin-nonfree package was there to handle Flash.

Regards,
Chris.