Monday, July 21, 2008

SOLVED: Firefox2 removal

After upgrading from Dapper Drake to Hardy Heron I decided to keep using Firefox 2 rather than Firefox 3, even though the latter had been installed - no problem.

However, a few annoying problems with Firefox 2 prompted me to make the switch. So, I ran

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

to set Firefox 3 to the default web-browser and uninstalled the firefox-2 package. However, clicking on the Firefox icons continued to run Firefox 2.

After digging around I realised that I still had a local copy of the Mozilla Firefox 2 build due to having used ubuntuzilla. To fix this I did the following:
  1. uninstalled the local copy of Firefox
  2. uninstalled ubuntuzilla
  3. reset System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > Web Browser to Firefox

No comments: